I usually do a better job of putting information up in advance. It’s been a hectic week and I am traveling to Maplewood right now actually. I [was] in D.C. On the highway now that this is published…Thank goodness for wifi…
Maplewood’s 4th of July celebration —107th Annual 2009—will be held this Saturday, July 4th in Memorial Park.
The opening ceremonies will begin at 8:15 am. The flier in circulation states that those participating should assemble at 7:45 am Ricalton Square for flag salute and anthem.
- Bikes, etc. Parade – 8:15am Everything push, pedal or pull, decorated red, white, and blue – bikes, kazoos, toddlers, Rollerblades.
- 4th of July 5K Run – 9-9:40am Start and Finish on Oakview Ave. near Skate House. Separate registration ages 6-13 1st/2nd/3rd Place Ribbons.
- Dashes & Relays – 9am Athletic Field opposite Town Hall. Maplewood Residents ages 6-13 1st/2nd/3rd Place ribbons.
- Art Project: Cube 10am Downhill from RR station- all ages Maplewood residents
- Ice Cream Eating Contests 11am Picnic area next to playground. Maplewood Residents k-12 & Adults
- Baking Contest 11:30am In Town Hall. All ages. Maplewood Residents. Baking contest entries need to be at Town Hall between 9-9:30am.
- Adult Softball 12 Noon Athletic field Opposite Town Hall. Continues to 3pm.
- Percussion Forest
- Pet Show 12Noon Main Library. All types. All sizes. Awards Maplewood residents. Assisted by NJ Animal Coalition
- Circus 1pm 3:30pm 6pm Rain or shine. 1st come 1st served.
- Music 3:30pm Performances till fireworks
- Picnic 6:30pm Opposite Town Hall
- Fireworks 9pm
You must have a tag, $10 Per tag. Babies in arms free. Physically Challenged: Handicapped parking and accommodations available to vehicles operated/occupied by handicapped. Please check with police officer. Circus: discharge passengers on Oakview, across from Field House. Evening: discharge passengers on Dunnell Rd. (west) between Nelson’s and Train Station. Enter at ramp by Field House (Oakview Ave.) and use special roped areas. Fireworks: Be kind to your pets and do not bring them to the fireworks.
I’ll be out-of-town. =o( Take good pictures for me!!! I especially wish I could see the Percussion Forest, I love art + art in Maplewood…and the fireworks would have been wonderful to see and experience…picnic blanket, bug spray, cool music, peace…
© 2010 W. S. Hughes